Skip to content
Exploring the heritage of Turvey and its people
You are here:
An Introduction to the Heritage Walk
The name Turvey comes from old English meaning Turf Island or low lying land.The article covers the early visitors and settlers in Turvey and briefly describes the impact of the Mordaunt and Higgins familes.
Stop 01. Corner Stores & Carlton Road
This part of the village was once known as Stockers End. The Corner Stores and Carlton Road.
Stop 02. All Saints Churchyard & Turvey House
Cloud pruning, All Saints Churchyard, Turvey House, the Higgins Mausoleum and the sepulchre.
Stop 03. Hogs Lane and the Three Cranes
Where the Turvey House Lodge now stands was once the entrance to Hogs Lane which had cottages to the left ...
Stop 04 . The Cross
Ther area formally known as 'The Cross', including tthe Chequers, Three Cranes, The Memorial Cross and the Jarrow Crusade.
Stop 05. Bridge Street Northern Side & Turvey Bridge
Turvey Gas Works, Thomas Charles Higgins, Mrs Bailey's Ice Cream, Puddles Close and Turvey Bridge.
Stop 06. Jonah and the former Mill.
Jonah appeared overnight and was first seen by villagers on the morning of 16th April 1844. It had been put there by men working for Mr Higgins of Turvey Abbey.
Stop 07. Ye Three Fyshes and Southern side of Bridge Street.
Ye Three Fishes, Fishing, Wrights and Ladybridge Terrace.
Stop 08. Newton Lane formerly Nell’s Lane
The Turvey Sign of 1951, Ladybrook and water pumps, the Village Smithy, Lacemaking and Nell's Well.
Stop 09. The Green
The houses now seen on The Green were built between 1954 and 1956 to house the senior engineers who were working on the building of the M1 motorway.
Stop 10. Turvey's Education Hub
National School of 1847, The Manor and Reading Room, the creation of a Village Hall and the Turvey Reformatory.
Stop 11. The Central Stores.
The house to the left of the stores is called “The Old Tinkers Inn” which provides some clue as to the previous use of what is now the Central Stores and the two houses either side.
Stop 12: High Street Southern Side
The National Infants School, Homelands and Richmond House, the Congregational Chapel, Covington's Yard and Jack's Lane.
Stop 13: Turvey Abbey and Park
The Mordaunts, Charles Higgins, John Higgins, the Longuet Higgins, the Priory of Our Lady of Peace, The Monastery of Christ Our Saviour, Turvey Abbey and Turvey Park.
Stop 14: Station End.
Priory Farm, the Drovers Road, Turvey Station and the Barton & Royle Homes
Stop 15: High Street Northern Side
Holmwood House, Abbey Square, Yew trees, Bamfords Lane and Yard, the Old Bakehouse, Occupations, Grove Farm and Laws House.
Stop 16: The Rectory & Lancelot’s Piece.
Rectories old and new, Legh Richmond, George Munby, Peter Jeffery and Lancelot.
Buildings, Monuments and Features
Events and Traditions
Health and Society
Leisure and Recreation
Trade and Industry
Turvey Through Time