Chapter 6: Turvey Church and its history.
Before the church existed there would have been a ‘Preaching Cross’ in the village and Munby suggests that this would be in the area now known as ‘The Cross’. The Church was initially built in the Saxon Age and so predated the Norman Conquest. The dedication to ‘All Saints’ meant that the actual dedication took place on a 1st November but of an unknown year.
The chapter provides details of the interior of the Church and refers to the considerable renovation that took place in 1852 along the lines of a proposal by Charles Longuet Higgins. The work was overseen by Sir George Gilbert Scott. The majority of the funding for the renovation came from Charles Longuet Higgins but there were also contributions from Col. W. B. Higgins of Pict’s Hill, Revd. W. B. Russel, Miss Gorst from Preston Lancashire and Miss Baker, a resident of Turvey House.
The organ was also renovated but incorporated the original organ installed following a gift from Miss Anna Maria Higgins of Turvey House.
In 1871 the churchyard became full and it was not possible to bury any further bodies on the site. Following gifts from Charles Longuet Higgins and Col. W. B. Higgins of Pict’s Hill a new cemetery was created in Carlton Road.