Chapter 4: Early Days at Turvey House
The Chapter commences with John Higgins of Weston Underwood purchasing the land in the 1786 auction and then commenced, in 1792, to build ‘Turvey House’ in the Italian Style following his ‘Grand Tour’ of Europe. His son Thomas Charles Higgins added a top storey. TCH as he was known made many improvements to the housing in the village as well as commissioning the building of large residences such as Turvey Cottage and Woodside House. He took a particular interest in his work as a Magistrate and was Chairman of the Bedford Quarter Sessions. He was at the forefront in the creation of the Turvey Reformatory and its first Chairman. His son William Bartholomew Higgins inherited Pict’s Hill House and did much to support the development of the village. He played a major role in the Bedfordshire Militia and was a driving force in the creation of the Bedford to Northampton Railway Company which he chaired.
His son William Francis Higgins continued the work and interests of his father.