Permission to build the The Grade II listed Higgins Mausoleum was sought by John Higgins (1768 – 1846) of Turvey Abbey in 1825 as a result of the Higgins family vault at Weston Underwood becoming full. It was built by John Warren.
The mausoleum has been regularly used by the Higgins and Longuet Higgins families associated with Turvey Abbey. The first person to be buried here was Theresa Higgins, wife of John Higgins, on 5th September 1845. The most recent was Professor Michael Selwyn Longuet Higgins in 2016. The earth by the steps is removed to give access down a longer flight of steps.